Wellawatte Parish was first established on the 6th of January, 1938 with a small church of St. Lawrence at Villa Pleasant Avenue, which was later renamed St. Lawrence Road. The first Parish Priest of this church was Rev. Fr. Robert Fernando OMI. However the young and energetic Fr. Fernando was determined to build a bigger church and purchased the spacious land at 375, Galle Road, Wellawatte. He laid the foundation for the present beautiful church on the 17th of January, 1954. Fr. Fernando labored for over a decade to bring to a completion what is now considered as one of the beautiful and rare churches hexagonally designed. The attractive feature is the excellently painted “EYE” which is right above the main altar. This “EYE OF GOD” is reflected in the Chalice of Wine at Holy Mass each day. Our church was ceremonially consecrated on the 6th of March, 1968 by the late His Eminence Thomas Cooray, Cardinal of Sri Lanka.